Friday, February 7, 2014

Freewrite: Resolution

Sorry this wasn't posted yesterday. I was just so wiped out after everything that was going on that I didn't even have the energy to type a quick update. But I'm here now, and I'll post again tonight, so I'm gonna say that I'm still on track with my goal to post every day.

I've reached and survived the climax of this week's happenings, and now I can give you the resolution. The "and she lived happily ever after" part of this week, if you will.

First of all, I NAILED my interview for the editing internship I applied for. I spent all Wednesday night and yesterday morning going over potential answers to potential questions. I dressed in my cutest professional outfit, made sure there was nothing in my teeth, and even went so far as to actually style my hair a little bit.

The effort that I put into my hair is directly proportional to the importance a day holds for me.

I was the very first interview of the day, which I hope will work to my advantage. The interviewer was so nice, and I didn't feel at all judged or critiqued by him--we were just having a conversation. Yeah, I was nervous about answering questions to his satisfaction, but even that wasn't so bad because I'd practiced so much. He didn't ask a lot of the questions I'd prepared for, but I'd thought it through so much that even when he posed unexpected questions I was able to answer quickly, calmly, and impressively.

For your sake, here's the guide I used to prepare for this interview:

You're welcome. (Sorry it's so small. Go to the site listed on the bottom for the legit version.)

I kept eye contact, I had an unwavering smile, I didn't fidget, and I never said anything negative about me, work, or even the other applicants. He actually asked me to compare myself to other applicants and say why I'm the best, but I just talked about how I'll do my best on the job, etc. etc. I was confident in my abilities, but humble enough not to go off the wall and rave about how I'm better than everyone else.

I left feeling like I'd just done the best I could possibly do. Now all that's left is a take-home editing exam that will really set me apart from the rest of the pack. It's some copyediting, but mostly substantive editing, so every applicant will turn in something different. I have a week to do it, and I plan to make mine the very best.

With that out of the way, I was able to focus all my energies on my 15-person dinner. It turned out AMAZING. It looked just like the pictures I posted the other day, and the taste was heavenly. Not only did I have Chelsy's salsa and sweet pork galore, I also provided lime cilantro rice and pineapple spears. Nobody went hungry, and actually I had so much food that I kept begging people to take more, and to take some for their roommates, and to take extra for themselves to save for later. Even after 15 people ate their fill and took home extra, I still have leftovers in my fridge. I was worried that I might not have enough food, but now I'm glad I didn't buy anything more!

So that's just a quick update that was supposed to be posted yesterday. Now my life is cooling down somewhat, though I still have homework to do, a portfolio to put together, and an editing test to ace. Tonight I'll blog about the Sochi Opening Ceremonies. I'm so excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment