Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Freewrite: In which I learn to just not open my big mouth




Do you ever do something so stupid that seems so harmless right before you do it? You think, “Aw, this couldn’t hurt. People do this all the time. Nobody will care.” Then you do it, and WHAM. It’s like your soul takes a hit, and you just go around like a whimpering puppy going, “Sorry, sorry, sorry, I’ll never do it again!” 

Maybe it’s just me? Well, it happened to me today, and I felt so guilty that I just had to open my scriptures and look up all the things I SHOULD have done, but didn’t. Here’s what I found: 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law....Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
--Galatians 5:22-26

And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things...
--Alma 7:23

Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.
--Doctrine & Covenants 4:6

He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.
--Proverbs 14:29

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into diverse temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
--James 1:2-4

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
--Matthew 7:12

And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail--
But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possess of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
--Moroni 7:46

And be ye kind one of another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
--Ephesians 4:32

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
--Matthew 18:4

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
--Matthew 23:12

And whoso knocketh, to him will he open; and the wise, and the learned, and they that are rich, who are puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches--yea, they are they whom he despiseth; and save they sahll cast these things away, and consider themselves fools before God, and come down in the depths of humility, he will not open unto them.
--2 Nephi 9:42

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
--Ether 12:27

Inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am--not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual.
--Doctrine & Covenants 67:10

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
--Matthew 5:9

Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
--Romans 14:19


And my personal favorite:


A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
--Proverbs 15:1


Don’t take my advice, take His. I know I’d be much happier right now had I just done what these scriptures say in the first place. 

Also, I found this verse in the Old Testament, and I loved it. So many Old Testament accounts show God smiting people and condemning people and being merciless. It was nice to find a scripture that describes Him the way He should be described. 

“But thou art a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness...”
--Nehemiah 9:17

No comments:

Post a Comment