Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Deadline: SO MANY DEADLINES

I am so stressed right now. I almost considered just not doing a post today, BUT I made a goal to post something every day and by golly I will do it!

So on top of the homework I already have (two papers due Friday, two more due Monday), I'm also cooking dinner for fifteen people tomorrow night, going to an internship interview first thing tomorrow morning, and critiquing twelve articles by midnight tomorrow.

Let's talk about all those things in reverse order. Just to shake things up.

Writing the articles for Stowaway ended up going pretty well. Dr. Adams' article finally came together nicely. It took me forever to figure out how to cut it down to only 900 words. I copied and pasted all my favorite parts of the seven-page material, and it was still 1,000 words too long. I wanted to keep his voice and include all the brilliant details he gave me, but alas, some of them had to go. Most of them had to go, to be honest. My dad suggested I try to sell the full interview to a different magazine. Or I could just publish a little booklet about Dr. Adams. :) Seriously, chopping it down to a 900-word blurb felt like murder.

You know, I think I just got a glimpse of what it must be like for movie directors to take a beloved, 600-page novel and somehow turn it into a 2-hour-long movie. Yikes... No wonder they so often stink. I hope my article doesn't compare to a movie adaptation of a novel. I'd hate to be that person.

Anyways, I needed a photo of Dr. Adams without sunglasses on, and he ended up sending me a whole load of cool photos. Here are my four favorites:


Note that the planes have skis instead of wheels to land on.

The whole team!


Waiting for the helicopter to come take them back to base.

The tents they live in out in the field (those rocks look uncomfortable...)

I hope I can use some of these photos in the actual magazine. They might just make me choose some stock photos instead.

Anyways, the other article came together well, too, but I'm excited to read my team's critiques on that one because I wasn't really sure what my angle was while I was writing it. It was kind of about touring around the country, kind of about culture, kind of about pastimes... It needs more direction. We'll see how it turns out. In the meantime, I have no time to do any critiquing myself at the moment. I'll have to do it tomorrow during my lunch break or something. That's the only spare time I'll have.

The second thing I'm stressed about is my internship interview tomorrow morning. I applied for ten editing internship offered by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I want this internship so bad. I'm already moving to Salt Lake, I've decided, so it would be great to have work be so close by. And I've always dreamed of being able to edit for the Church. I want this internship to turn into a permanent position with their editing team, whether it be editing Sunday School manuals, the Ensign, or the New Era. I think my application was pretty great, but now I have to be AMAZING during my interview tomorrow. At the interview they'll give me a 3-hour take-home editing test, but anybody with a Chicago Manual of Style on hand could pass that with flying colors. I'm pretty positive that this interview tomorrow is gonna make or break me. I have to be perfect. I have to be presentable and polite and great with my answers. I spent my lunch break today going over the 32 most-common job interview questions and practicing how I would respond to them. I sure hope I can keep cool and convince them that I'm the girl they want on their staff. Wish me luck!

Finally, I'm stressed because I'm making dinner for 15 people, including myself. My apartment, a guys apartment, and another girls apartment are all getting together, and I'm in charge of food. I just spent almost $100 on ingredients, and there are still some things I need to grab at the store tomorrow. With all the other things I have to do tonight and tomorrow, I got most of the prep out of the way today. I made my aunt Chelsy's famous salsa (pictured here)...


Only quadruple the serving size.

...and tomorrow morning I'll stick a hunk of pork in a crock pot, smother it with sauce and onions, and let it slowly roast while I'm at school and work. It's gonna make delicious pulled-pork tacos.


Which I hope turn out to look something like this.

A funny story about the onions that are going with the pork: I have super sensitive eyes when it comes to onions. When I worked at Legends Grille, I had to leave the restaurant until my coworkers were done putting the buckets of onions through the onion slicer. It's bad. Well tonight I chopped those onions as quickly as I could, but the fumes overwhelmed me so I just gave up halfway, decided I had enough onions, and ran outside into the cold winter air to let my eyes recuperate. I looked like a raccoon with all my mascara running down my face, but the cold air did the trick. Then I went and did my laundry (because yeah, I had a thousand other little things to do today that I haven't even mentioned), and when I got back it was to find out that an apartment of guys across the way had called my roommates, all concerned about why I was crying outside my apartment in the cold. I must have looked like a wreck if they could tell from two houses away that I was tearing up. How embarrassing. But it was very considerate of them to care so much about my emotional wellbeing. :)

Okay, I really have to go to bed now. I'm waking up super early so I can review those interview questions again and do my hair all cute. I'm guessing I won't sleep very well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment