Saturday, April 5, 2014

Freewrite: More Updates

I don't really know what to do with all the random happenings of my life, so I guess I'll just group them all together today and call it a Freewrite.

Update 1: Wyld Lyfe Party

First of all, last weekend there was this party up on campus that a few friends and I went to check out. It was pretty cool--they had this big tent filled with reptiles that you could hold.

Giant tortoise in a box.
Albino Nagini.

Lizards and snakes and turtles in tanks.




Reed rocking a literal boa (okay, it's not really a boa.)

Me with a snake under bad lighting.

A huge lizard, the second-biggest species under the Komodo Dragon.

It was supposed to be a dance party as well, but when we got there, there were only like ten people on the dance floor, and the music wasn't really good for dancing. We just ate some mini kabobs from Panda Express, then went back to the Colony to play Just Dance so we could satisfy our dance cravings.


Update 2: Ran into Steve

Earlier this week I was walking to the University Press Building for a class field trip, and I happened upon my old Grounds Crew boss, on the job with my old truck and a new crew member. I hadn't seen Steve in almost eight months, so we had a happy reunion.

We chatted for a bit, then I asked him if he knew of a faster way to the press building than going around the construction zone of Heritage Halls. He said, "Yeah... What you could do is come back to the shed with us, get a slice of Swedish rye bread, and then we can take the truck there." I heartily agreed to that plan, feeling lucky that he just happened to have some of his amazing homemade Swedish rye bread on hand (it's time-consuming for him to make, so he doesn't make it often, but it is seriously to die for. I need the recipe).

Going back to the shed and sharing a loaf of bread felt like I'd never even left. It smelled like gasoline and mulch and metal things, and it made me nostalgic for that satisfying, hard-working Grounds year. Rather than run all the way from the Colony to the University Press Building, I got to relax in the Grounds shed and chat and eat bread, and then I got a ride the rest of the way and still ended up getting there five minutes early. It was awesome. :)


Update 3: University Press Tour

The class field trip was a tour of the University Press Building, where Stowaway will be printed. It was really cool to go through the whole printing process, and to see that--no really--there are only four colors of ink used. They showed us a flip book, where there were four transparencies--one for each color: cyan, yellow, magenta, and black. They laid down one transparency at a time, and it was like a magic show. With each transparency laid, the photo gained more depth and color, until at the end it was a perfect snapshot with so many colors it seemed impossible that they all came from only four transparencies. It was really cool. I wish I had a video or something to demonstrate everything they showed us, but I couldn't find a good one. Sorry.

(I heard a story, though, from a girl who went on the tour a year ago, and apparently back then they would demonstrate that the ink was oil-based by taking the ink sticks and licking them. If you get enough water on your tongue first, none of the ink comes off of the stick. They used to do this to freak people out by doing this without explaining first. I'm a little sad that I didn't get to see that.)


Update 4: Stowaway's Penultimate Proof!

On a related note, we went through the third proof of Stowaway on Thursday, and it's coming together so nicely! It's going to be beautiful. I really like what they've done with my spreads, though I am a bit sad that I didn't have more of a hand in it. They look awesome, but I can't take credit for them because the design team changed them so much from my initial, mediocre design. It would have been so cool if I could put the spreads in my portfolio and say that I did all of it. Alas. What can you do.

Look how studious we are.

Update 5: Confetti Eggs FHE

On Monday, even though it was still March 31st on not technically Easter Month yet, our FHE activity was to make confetti-filled eggs. It was really fun, especially since half of the girls there were so grossed out by the process of blowing the egg shells clean. It did look rather disgusting, but it was fun.

First you've gotta choose a worthy egg.

Then you carefully chip a small hole in the top and bottom of the egg (the strongest parts of the egg, so good luck)

Then you blow through one hole to push all the insides out of the other hole.

It's kind of revolting.

Then you decorate the shells.

And wait for it to dry out so you can fill it with confetti (we got impatient and used blow dryers).

Sadly, we didn't actually get around to throwing the confetti-filled eggshells at each other, because we'd put so much effort into drying them out and decorating them with markers that we didn't want to destroy them so soon. But it was fun, and I highly recommend making it an Easter tradition. I certainly plan to.


Update 6: Paraguay Reunion

Last night there was a Paraguay missionary reunion at the Wilk. It was hosted by the mission presidents who ran the mission before I ever got to Paraguay, so it was mostly a bunch of "older generation" people who I'd never met before. My mission president, Pte. Madariaga, is from Argentina and so he doesn't come up to Utah for reunions much. I don't know when I'll get to see him again, and until he does come up I don't think my actual mission friends and I will ever all get together again. But I did run into some old friends, and a lot of people I knew from missionary reputation only (like the trainer of my trainer, for example). Plus it was fun to just get into conversations about Paraguayan things that I haven't gotten to think or talk about for a long time. It's amazing how many memories resurfaced and how many random Spanish and Guarani words rolled from my tongue even after nearly two whole years back (can you BELIEVE it's been that long?? I can't.) I'm really glad I went.


Update 7: Got asked to the ward formal!

When I came back from the Paraguay reunion, I found that I had been asked to the ward formal by my good friend Isaac. This is how he asked:


Isn't it cute? It's kind of hard to see here, but it's a little wooden plane with little wire stick figures holding on, and it says "Fly away with me to ward formal!" Awww! It's super cute. I'm definitely going to keep it. :) Now I just need to figure out a cute way to answer "Yes!" And I need to find a dress. We'll see how that goes.


Conclusion: I just realized that I'm seriously going to miss all the goings-on at BYU. I have high expectations for my new ward and social life up in Salt Lake. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment