Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Deadline: Definition Argument

So in my Persuasive Writing class, we're learning about "definition arguments". A definition argument is where you use the exact definition of something to explain why it's NOT something else. For example, a cat is not a dog. Why?



Because this is the definition of a cat (via dictionary.reference.com):

noun
1.
a small domesticated carnivore, Felis domestica  or F. catus,  bred in a number of varieties.
2.
any of several carnivores of the family Felidae, as the lion, tiger, leopard or jaguar, etc.
3.
Slang.
a.
a person, especially a man.
b.
a devotee of jazz.
4.
a woman given to spiteful or malicious gossip.
5.
the fur of the domestic cat.


A dog is a domesticated carnivore, bred in a number of varieties, but it's not in the genus Felis, nor is it part of the Felidae family, a gossipy woman, or the fur of a domestic cat.

(I'd say that a dog isn't a devotee of jazz, either, but my dogs can't get enough of Louis Armstrong).

Anyways, we're doing our own definition arguments. It's a group project, of course, because my teachers just love to force me to make friends when I only have two weeks left at BYU.

We decided we're going to define "a date", because it's amusing and helpful for the rest of the class. I'm so glad we found an entertaining topic. It makes writing the paper a little easier.

It's still kind of boring, though. So why am I writing about it? A) because I have nothing else to write about today, and B) because when teaching us about definition arguments, our teacher introduced us to these awesome YouTube videos that have seriously changed my whole outlook on certain things. Namely, pennies and Pluto.

Watch these videos. If you're not convinced that pennies are worthless and Pluto isn't a planet, then at least you have to admit they're funny:





Thank you, CGP Grey, for changing my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment