Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Freewrite: Marketing Insight

So today I was on my way to Stowaway when I saw a group of people gathered in front of the library. I'd already passed a group of field trippers, so I figured it was an extension of that.

Then I got closer.

Suddenly, a llama!


I quickly realized that this was THE BEST marketing strategy ever. I'm used to people passing out flyers and chasing you down on campus, trying to promote this or that. 

(The Wilk is the worst perpetrator. I intentionally go around the hallway that's lined with booths and people hawking their charities and events to the poor passersby.)

But here, the guy with the llama didn't have to say a word. He just stood there on the sidewalk with his llama, and I immediately beelined right up to him and asked, "Why is there a llama on campus?". I knew he was probably trying to sell or promote something, but it didn't matter--he had a llama

I listened with rapt attention as he told me about his high adventure fundraiser that involves Peru and hiking and llamas. He gave me a sticker and a flyer for an event on Saturday, and even encouraged me to take a selfie with the llama, because it's part of some scavenger hunt he's putting on. 

I didn't want to be that person who takes selfies every five minutes, but this moment required a selfie.


Its name is Mr. Tangerine, for Pete's sake! Look how pretty and fluffy he is! He was so soft and had the cutest brown eyes and I never thought I would be one of those people who loves llamas but now I am.

I mean, this advertiser had me wrapped around his little finger. Were it not for my solidified plans on Saturday, I totally would have dropped everything and gone to his fundraiser event. 

It was the best marketing. I came to him, and I was genuinely interested in what he had to say just because there was a llama involved. 

The moral of the story is that if I ever have to market something, I now know the perfect way to do it. It doesn't even have to be a llama--just get a box of ducklings or a big dog or even a possum, and nobody will feel put off by your advertising. They'll want to talk to you, if it means they can get a selfie in return. 

1 comment: