Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Character: Jackson. The cutest nephew in the world.

For a while, I've been wanting to do segments titled "Characters"--just posts about random cool people I meet. I guess I just haven't had the opportunity (or the inspiration) to write a Character post yet, but today I definitely need to.

Today is the first birthday of my favorite (and okay, only) nephew, Jackson.



Jackson was due to be born on April 6th, 2013, but I guess it just wasn't his time.

His mama sure looked beautiful while she waited, though.


I didn't get to go to Idaho when he was born. I had to settle for a phone call from my mom explaining how everything went. Amanda and Chase were too exhausted to talk at the time (totally understandable), but my mom choked up when she told me about the delivery.




That night I fawned over the photos that Mom sent, and I spent the next few weeks showing his picture to EVERYONE.

I mean, have you ever seen a cuter one-day-old baby in your life??

I didn't get to actually meet Jackson until he was a few months old. Amanda provided lots of photos, but it wasn't until I got to hold him in my own arms that it really hit me. I'm an aunt. God blessed my sister and brother-in-law with parenthood. Jackson was the newest member of our family, and just looking at him gave me a warm feeling of innocence and potential. A few months delayed, I cried over the miracle of birth, and the blessing I knew this sweet spirit would be in our lives.

This was the very first time I ever held him.
And this was a few months later. He always looks SO happy to be with me. :)
Now a year has gone by, and still I've only been able to observe Jackson mostly from afar. I've only been with him four times.

But even just with pictures, I am inspired by him. He is one handsome boy. His smile melts my heart. He's the most cheerful child. And, as with all babies, it's so fun to watch him discover things. We take this world so much for granted, but babies remind us what a blessing it all is. They help us feel closer to God, and help us appreciate what's most important in our lives.

His first Christmas lights.

And he was so happy even though it was past his bedtime.

He's practically glowing with wonder!
So Jackson, I know you're way too young to read this at the moment, but I just have to say thank you. Thank you for being here. Thank you for showing me what matters most--for giving me this chance to better myself so that I can be a good example to you as you continue to learn and grow.

Look at you, so grown up!!
I live a state away now, but I hope that over time we will grow ever closer. I hope you come to think of me as the "fun" aunt. I hope we go on many adventures together. I can't wait to see what hobbies you pick up, what you decide to do that makes you happy, who you become.

I promise to always be there for you if you need me. I owe you, after all you've done even in just this first year of your life to make me so happy.

I love you!

---Aunt Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment