Monday, March 24, 2014

Soliloquy: "Have ye inquired of the Lord?"

I apologize for the lack of post yesterday. I'm working on a longer post that I had planned on publishing yesterday, but I didn't feel like it was quite ready yet, so I just didn't post anything.

So today I just wanted to comment on an insight I gained yesterday while reading the scriptures. It will also kind of serve as a disclaimer for next week's Sunday Soliloquy--the post I've been working on.

Now, I don't know who reads this, but whether or not you believe in the Book of Mormon, I hope you can agree with the concept I'm about to point out.

The passage I was reflecting on comes from 1 Nephi, chapter 15.

 And it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had been carried away in the Spirit, and seen all these things, I returned to the tent of my father.
 And it came to pass that I beheld my brethren, and they were disputing one with another concerning the things which my father had spoken unto them.
 For he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be aunderstood, save a man should inquire of the Lord; and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought. 
And now I, Nephi, was grieved because of the hardness of their hearts, and also, because of the things which I had seen, and knew they must unavoidably come to pass because of the great wickedness of the children of men. 
And it came to pass that I was overcome because of my afflictions, for I considered that mine aafflictions were great above all, because of the bdestruction of my people, for I had beheld their fall. 
And it came to pass that after I had received astrength I spake unto my brethren, desiring to know of them the cause of their disputations. 
 And they said: Behold, we cannot understand the words which our father hath spoken concerning the natural branches of the aolive tree, and also concerning the Gentiles. 
 And I said unto them: Have ye ainquired of the Lord?
 And they said unto me: aWe have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us.  
10 Behold, I said unto them: How is it that ye do not keep the commandments of the Lord? How is it that ye will aperish, because of the hardness of your hearts? 
 11 Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and aask me in bfaith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you.
To give you some context, Nephi and his family are traveling in the desert, led by the Lord away from Jerusalem to find the Promised Land. Lehi, Nephi's father, had an in-depth dream that's really an extended metaphor of this whole earthly existence (I could write pages and pages about said dream, but I won't today).

The family didn't really understand what Lehi was talking about, so Nephi went off on his own and prayed for understanding. Because he was so faithful and humble, the Spirit of the Lord showed Nephi the same vision that his father saw, explained what it all meant, and even went on to show Nephi the future of his posterity.

This future was rather bleak for Nephi--he saw great blessings ahead, but eventually his descendants would all be wiped out by the descendants of his brothers. That must have been extremely hard for Nephi to see.

So Nephi comes back to camp after this experience, and he finds his brothers still trying to understand what Lehi was talking about. They've been bickering about it the whole time he's been getting answers from the Spirit, and seeing them like that must have broken his heart. He's already seen the future. He knows that his brothers will turn away from the gospel and lead their posterity astray.

He's seen what they will become, and despite all that they've done to him (it comes as no surprise to the reader that they fall away--they weren't the nicest people to start with), he loves them. They're his brothers!

This isn't my favorite depiction of Nephi and his brothers (if that's even what this is--I'm not positive), but I had the HARDEST TIME finding a painting of them where they're not fighting. Seriously, they had a troubled history. Maybe someday I'll write a story or at least draw a picture of Nephi and his brothers back when they didn't hate each other. Laman and Lemuel didn't start out evil, after all, but that's how we all remember them, and how everyone paints them.

It says that he didn't approach them until he had "received strength". He was exhausted--physically, mentally, and emotionally. He had to take a minute to catch his breath, but then he approaches and asks why they're arguing.

"We cannot understand," they say. They just have no idea what Lehi was referring to, and they're already irritated with the whole journey to begin with. No doubt their debate was heated and exasperating.

And so Nephi asks them, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?"

"We have not; for the Lord makes no such thing known unto us."

At this point, I can almost imagine Nephi just throwing up his hands and scoffing in disbelief. "How is it that ye do not keep the commandments of the Lord?" he asks. "How is it that ye will perish, because of the hardness of your hearts?

"Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?--If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you."

I just love this response, and it's what I wanted to comment on today. Lately I've been hearing all these discussions--no, arguments--about the doctrine of the Church, and it makes me want to ask, "Well, have you asked the Lord?"

Unlike Nephi, I am not in a position to accuse people of not keeping the commandments or not having faith. I've definitely never had strong enough faith to receive a vision from God. But that's something I'd like to have, and that's something I know we all could have if we applied these principles.

Don't harden your heart
+
Ask the Lord in faith.
+
Believe that you will receive answers.
+
Be diligent in keeping the commandments.
=
A clear, undeniable answer.

It's that simple, but we all need to be better about it, especially when it comes to these doctrinal debates. The truth of the matter is, we can pull obscure quotes from general authorities. We can use philosophy and history and scripture to one-up each other. We can argue our points of view until we're blue in the face. But we cannot change absolute truths, no matter how many debates we "win".

The gospel of Jesus Christ is not a democracy. We don't put the commandments up for a vote. We don't let men decide the things of God.

So why are we arguing? It's okay to have questions, and it's okay to talk through doubts with others. But ultimately, your questions should be and will be answered by the Lord. What He says goes. No viral blog post nor popular opinion poll nor petition will change eternal truths.

And if you aren't sure what truths are eternal and which ones are temporal (and thus flexible), then ask GOD for understanding. Let Him tell you and no one else. If He says something needs to be changed, then by all means go for it! But the fact of the matter is that He has promised not to lead us astray. He has promised that His prophets won't lead us astray. You can trust them, because God will testify to you that you can. That's why I watch General Conference--because I know through the Spirit that President Thomas S. Monson, his counselors, the Twelve Apostles, and all the other speakers will help me better understand correct principles that the Spirit of the Lord has already told me are true.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm saddened by all the arguing. I haven't had a vision like Nephi did, but the Spirit has still told me what is true and what is not. And so when I see my brothers and sisters fighting, I just want to ask, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?"

If you haven't, then do so and be content with the response He gives you.

If you have, then invite your debating buddies to do the same.

Only the Lord can say what is right and what is wrong. If we all listened to Him rather than putting our trust in our own opinions--or worse, in the opinions of others--then there would be no need for debate.

The Lord's ways are straight and clear, not twisted and confusing. He wants to give us answers, peace of mind, and calm in our hearts.

Give Him the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment