Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Freewrite + Doodle: Stuck but Still Striving

Today I feel like...

* a kite that keeps getting stuck in tree branches

* a river that just wants to keep flowing but runs into a beaver dam and gets turned into a lake

* a girl who's spent four years of her life studying to be an editor, only to fail in her initial attempts to get even a simple freelance proofreading job. 


I know it's way too early to give up or anything, but from my current perspective, all I can think is, "Wait. I'm NOT getting this job? Then...what have these last few years been about? Am I even going to be an editor, or am I going to just work retail for the rest of my life?"

I know I shouldn't panic yet. I've barely even started looking for jobs. It's just terrifying to know that I'm moving to Salt Lake, to a nicer apartment, away from all my current friends, and I might not have any way to pay for myself. 


But I know that God has something else in store for me. Maybe it's an editing job I just haven't thought of yet, or maybe it's something completely unrelated to editing. I know it will all work out, and in the end I'll look back and say, "Thank GOODNESS I didn't get that Church editing job." 

So for now I'm just fighting back panic and converting my fear into productivity. I'm spending all my free time searching for jobs and refining my skills. 

Except when I'm in class. Today in class I was really bored and there's no internet in the basement of the JFSB, so I tend to doodle instead. My doodle for today is a rough sketch of my History of English professor. It doesn't really look a lot like him, but I'm just pleased with my ability to draw a person at all. I can draw animals no problem, but people are really hard for me. After today's relative success, though, I might just try drawing people more often. Practice makes perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment