Saturday, March 29, 2014

Deadline: Internship

Okay, since this is job related, I'm calling it Deadline, but really this is just going to be a random rambling post.

I GOT THE INTERNSHIP!

Who's "ready for great things"? I am! ME! ME!
You're looking at the new summer intern for LDS Living magazine. Right now I'm kind of in shock, but a half hour ago when I checked my e-mail, I was a complete wreck.

When I came out from the dead zone that is the basement of the JFSB, I had a few unread e-mails. Since I was running to get to work on time, I waited to check them until I had already gotten to the office and settled down at my desk.

My heart skittered when I saw that one of the messages was from LDS Living. I was so excited to open it, but at the same time I was terrified. I was sure that I would be inexplicably rejected, just like the last two times I'd applied for internships.

I'd felt so good about the interview and the location and the whole LDS Living deal, that to be rejected would have crushed me. And I was so sure it was going to happen. I couldn't think of a single good reason why it would happen, but I was so afraid that it would.

So I said a quick prayer, similar to the ones I made every night before I got my mission call. "Heavenly Father, if I don't get this internship, please help me be okay with it and move on with my life."

For a moment I just sat there, shaking and feeling tears build up. Then I took a deep breath and checked my e-mail.


The tears that I thought would be shed in bitter disappointment became tears of absolute euphoria instead. I couldn't believe it when I saw that I had been selected! Finally.

Man, how I wished that I had checked my e-mail before I got to work. I would have whooped and went running down South Hill, Maria Von Trapp-style, rejoicing for all the world to hear.



Instead, I had to sit still at my desk and pretend like nothing happened. I had to act like a calm professional for the next four hours, only releasing my excitement through texts to my family that contained five too many exclamation points.

Now that it's been a half hour, I should probably be glad I didn't open my e-mail outside. Someone probably would have YouTubed my outburst of joy and then my future employers would have seen it and changed their minds. :)

I'd just like to thank the LDS Living team for being so friendly and inviting and seeing my potential as their newest team member.

I'd also like to thank my family for their support during this difficult job hunting time, my editing teachers for giving me a valuable life skill after all (sorry I doubted you), and my roommates for listening to my drama.


Also, I'd like to thank the Academy... But since no one ever seems to finish that sentence with any reason why the Academy should be thanked, I don't really know how to parody that. What does that even mean, anyways? Nevermind, I'll just stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment