Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Freewrite: What I Live For

Once again, I just have to say that I love my job.

True, sometimes it's still hard for me to get up and get going every weekday, but I never dread arriving at work. I never groan about having to be there. I rarely watch the clock during the day. My work days continue to be pleasant and positive. I love my coworkers and I love that my work revolves around the gospel and members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

One of the things I love most about this internship is that I get to assemble lesson helps. Some of them are submitted by freelancers, and I just have to format them for the blog, but the FHE lesson helps I get to write from scratch.

In the beginning, everyone told me to just recycle old topics and maybe tweak them as I saw fit. But then the Disney FHE series happened and I got hooked on writing them myself.

It's not like these lesson helps get tons of hits or go viral online or anything. In fact, they tend to get the least amount of hits of anything we post, and only a handful of likes on Facebook. Writing them is a pretty much thankless job.

But today I got to work, checked up on our Facebook page, and found this comment under my FHE about forgiveness:


This, you guys. This is what makes working at LDS Living so worthwhile. This is how I find fulfillment in my day-to-day actions.

Sure, it's virtually anonymous. Sure, only 1,394 of our 190,000+ e-mail subscribers actually read that lesson help. Sure, it's only got 34 likes on the Weekly FHE Facebook page.

But it meant something to at least one father. It helped create at least one successful family home evening. It brought the Spirit into at least one home. It might have helped at least one person let go of a grudge and find forgiveness in their heart.

If I even just get one comment like this on a given day, I can go to bed that day feeling like I've done something good in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment