Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Movie Reviews: Cinderella, Age of Adaline, and Avengers 2

Sorry for the long lack of updates! I haven't felt much motivation to write lately, except now I've seen four movies in as many weeks, and I'm really happy this month. After a long winter of nothing good to see in theaters, this is awesome.

After Freetown, the next two movies I saw were both chick flicks.

First, Cinderella.



Synopsis:
Pssh! Like you need one. It was very similar to the original animated version.

My rating: 5 out of 5 

As always, there were some things I didn't like about this movie, but overall I thought it was pretty near perfect. I went into it expecting to find it enjoyable but not incredible. I was so wrong. It was beautiful. There were a couple moments of cheesiness, where we--the audience--laughed when we shouldn't have. However, the children in the audience loved every minute, and I bet if I'd been a kid when I first saw it, it would be one of those movies that I'd rematch three times a day. It's one I hope my kids watch repeatedly as they grow up.

It was beautifully made. The costumes were gorgeous, the scenery was stunning, and the CGI (while noticeable) was better than I expected it to be. The characters grew on me faster than I thought they would, and I actually really liked them. Cate Blanchett was awesome, as usual, and Cinderella was genuinely adorable.

What I loved most about it was that finally we got a remake that wasn't about changing a beloved character from a delicate princess into an armored, sword-wielding heroine. I hope this means that Hollywood is finally realizing that just because we women want to feel empowered, that doesn't mean we want prowess in battle--we just want to be influential. One can do that when still enjoying a gorgeous blue ball gown and falling in love with a prince. Not all power comes from one's ability to physically fight an army; some battles are more subtle--waged with words and attitudes--and are no less important.

The theme of "have courage and be kind" is one that we all need more of in our lives. I was really pleased to hear it from such a mainstream source, where millions will hear and hopefully apply it.

Also, the soundtrack was so well done that I can still remember the main tune. It usually takes me a few viewings to get a new song stuck in my head.

Oh, and I cried. Twice. You know how I feel about a movie if it makes me cry.


Now, Age of Adaline.



Synopsis:
A young woman, born at the turn of the 20th century, is rendered ageless after an accident. After many solitary years, she meets a man who complicates the eternal life she has settled into.

My rating: 4 out of 5

This was another one that I went to with relatively low expectations and ended up being impressed by. I'd only ever seen Blake Lively in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, so I wasn't sure how great she would be in this movie.

She was excellent. Every shot of her was breathtaking. Not only is she already gorgeous, but she was so good at acting like a 100-something-year-old woman. The way she talked and emoted and dressed made me think of my great-grandma, while her face told me she was much younger. If they were trying to get the audience to feel how weird the situation was, it worked perfectly. In every other movie I've seen that involves an ageless person (*cough* Twilight! *cough*), said person still acts like they're 19 or whatever. Adaline acted her age.

Unfortunately, by reminding me with every mannerism that she was actually 100-something years old, I was kind of weirded out by the fact that she was still falling in love with 20-something-year-old men. She was so wise and experienced and matronly... what did she see in these guys? Don't get me wrong, it was adorable and I wanted her to be happy, but it was still kind of weird.

My sisters liked that they tried to give a "scientific" explanation for how she doesn't age anymore, but I kind of wish they'd left that part out. Can't we just attribute it to magic? I mean, their explanation practically was magic. They just said, "And then, this thing happened, which scientists won't understand until the year 2035." Ooookay... So... you really can't give a real scientific explanation. So let's just say magic.

I was also hoping for more about her past--like a continuous narrative of how hard her life was, instead of just the modern-day stuff. I wanted to see how she lived during both World Wars and the Cold War and everything. She saw it all, but we didn't. But what they did show of her life was enough to make you feel so sad for her, and so hopeful that she would find happiness someday.

I highly recommend it. It was so unique and so well done.

Okay, and the guy playing Harrison Ford's character's younger self was a dead ringer for the actual young Harrison Ford. I bet you anything the producers were just like, "Hey there's this kid in my neighborhood who does a sick Han Solo impression--let's use him!" Usually they just find kids who kind of sort of almost look like the adult actors, but this guy not only looked like Harrison Ford, he acted just like him, too. Go to the movie just to see that, if nothing else.


Finally, Avengers: Age of Ultron.


Synopsis:
When Tony Stark and Bruce Banner try to jump-start a dormant peacekeeping program called Ultron, things go horribly wrong and it's up to Earth's Mightiest Heroes to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plans.
My rating: 4.5 out of 5

I've seen this one twice already, and it's been in theaters for less than a week. Yes, I am a huge nerd.

The first time I saw it, I went by myself because my family didn't feel like going and I was really looking forward to it. By myself was not nearly as much fun, and the audience I was with was really lame. I wasn't really blown away. I was actually kind of disappointed, to tell you the truth. I'd just rented Captain America: Winter Soldier (my favorite Marvel movie to date), and I was really hyped up about this one. So it was kind of a letdown for me. I thought it could've been so much better.

But then when I saw it again last night, my family found it as funny and awesome as I hoped they would, and the whole theater reacted to the movie's ups and downs, which made it much more enjoyable overall. I was in love. I mean, really, I found very few faults the second time. The new characters had grown on me, I was excited for my family to witness the plot and action that I'd already seen, and I decided I could happily watch it again.

I've had so many friends either love this movie or hate it, and I found myself in both camps over the course of a few days. Ultimately, though, I really love it. And I think once people get over some of the weirder aspects and see it again at college parties and stuff, it'll be better received.

So I guess I advise you to go with people who have seen all the other Marvel movies and will appreciate the inside jokes and neediness. And just have fun with it. This was a great superhero movie--good versus evil, right over wrong, sacrifice and compassion in the face of total annihilation. It was, in a word, epic.

And now I can't wait for Captain America: Civil War. Grrr! Why is it not coming out until next year?? I guess I'll just have to settle for Ant-Man in the meantime. I know it's part of the MCU, so I should pay attention and enjoy it, but I'm not nearly as excited for it as I am for Captain America 3. 


So this was my movie month recap. See you again when I review Jurassic World (or hopefully before that)!

No comments:

Post a Comment