Friday, January 30, 2015

Freewrite: New Favorite Song

So I was just sitting in the office as I do every weekday, listening to the same three CDs play on a loop in our stereo, when suddenly I actually caught the lyrics of this Hilary Weeks song I've heard a million times.

Isn't it funny how that happens--you know the tune by heart, or you can even sing it word-for-word, but somehow you just never really hear it?

Well that happened today, and the lyrics were so beautiful that I had to share them.

The song is "Better Promises" by Hilary Weeks.

I thought maybe you had forgotten me
I wondered if You listened when I prayed
It seemed like everything I was asking for
Stayed hidden behind heaven's doors
And I was losing faith. 
I can see now as I look back
Now that the tears have passed 
You gave me bread but I thought it was a stoneAnd before You could tell me yes, You had to tell me noIf You had given me what I wanted, I would not have seenYou had better promises for me. 
It took some time to convince me
To trust Your plan and see things Your way
It was hard to trade what I wanted most
For promises that were still unknown
And my heart was about to break 
Sometimes it's hard to recognize
The blessings that come in disguise 
Chorus 
I can see now as I look back
Now that the tears have passed 
You gave me bread but I thought it was a stoneAnd before You could tell me yes, You had to tell me noIf You had given me what I wantedIf You had sheltered me from painIf You had let me settle for something less, I would not have seenYou had better promises for me.

I'll let you take from that what you will. Suffice it to say that it touched my heart today and made me rethink some recent events in my life.

Check out Hilary Week's full album, "Say Love," at deseretbook.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment