Sunday, January 11, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: The Captive Maiden and A Thousand Splendid Suns

Completely by accident, the next two books I read for the Reading Challenge featured female leads.

First, there was The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson. This fell under the category of a book by an author I've never read before.


Synopsis:
Gisela's childhood was filled with laughter and visits from nobles such as the duke and his young son. But since her father's death, each day has been filled with nothing but servitude to her stepmother. So when Gisela meets the duke's son, Valten--the boy she has daydreamed about for years--and learns he is throwing a ball, she vows to attend, even if it's only for a taste of a life she'll never have. To her surprise, she catches Valten's eye. Though he is rough around the edges, Gisela finds Valten has completely captured her heart. But other forces are bent on keeping the two from falling further in love, putting Gisela in more danger than she ever imagined.
My rating: 4 out of 5

This book was better than its cover implied. Normally I wouldn't even pick up a book like this, but I'd heard from several friends that it was really good, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did.

As you can probably tell from the cover and the synopsis, this book was a different take on the Cinderella story. What I loved about it was that it was a historically accurate twist, set in 14th century Germany. Everything felt authentic and realistic--a fairy tale without magic. I've got nothing against magic, of course, but this felt like the original fairy tale--the true story that inspired the fairy tale that has been passed on ever since. It was really well done.

I also loved that God was seamlessly part of the story. The setting was historically Roman Catholic, with chivalrous knights and friars and cross necklaces, so when the characters turned to God in their time of trouble, it didn't feel preachy at all. It felt like something these historic characters naturally would have done, yet it really did inspire me as I read it in 21st century America.

It's a light read, but it was more serious than I expected. I was invested in the characters, they were all fleshed out pretty well, and the plot was compelling. It's definitely for middle readers, with very black-and-white characters, but it was fun for me, too.

A book with a number in the title:


Synopsis:
Propelled by the same superb instinct for storytelling that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once an incredible chronicle of thirty years of Afghan history and a deeply moving story of family, friendship, faith, and the salvation to be found in love. 
Born a generation apart and with very different ideas about love and family, Mariam and Laila are two women brought jarringly together by war, by loss and by fate. As they endure the ever escalating dangers around them—in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul—they come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other, and that will ultimately alter the course not just of their own lives but of the next generation. With heart-wrenching power and suspense, Hosseini shows how a woman’s love for her family can move her to shocking and heroic acts of self-sacrifice, and that in the end it is love, or even the memory of love, that is often the key to survival. 
A stunning accomplishment, A Thousand Splendid Suns is a haunting, heartbreaking, compelling story of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love. 
My rating: 5 out of 5

That synopsis is much better than anything I could come up with. I can really only add my raving recommendation that everyone read this book.

This book was the exact opposite of a fairy tale. I have never been more grateful to be an American woman after reading this.

It's fiction, but like The Kite Runner, it's historical fiction set in the not-so-distant past. I learned so much about Afghan history and about how the people live. It gave me chills when I realized that such horrible events happened in my lifetime while I was an innocent grade schooler.

The story arch of one of the main characters, Mariam, was the most beautifully tragic thing I've read in a long time. I burst into tears in front of my family while finishing it.

I don't want to get into anything because I want everyone to read it themselves and experience the narrative for themselves. But what I came away with after reading this book is that war is never a good answer, but no matter how horrible things get, life goes on. And the struggle for women's rights is very real, but not all men are monsters.

This was a really gritty, emotionally painful read, but I wish I chose more entertainment like this that leaves me breathless and teary and enlightened.

If you're looking for a book that's deep and beautiful and will make you grateful for the life you have, pick up A Thousand Splendid Suns.

No comments:

Post a Comment