Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Soliloquy: Too Good NOT to Be True

I'm back, everyone! After helping Ashley with online class stuff for a month, she finally had to give me my laptop back. I shall strive to catch you up on everything I've been up to for the past four weeks.

* * * *


When I was in the MTC preparing to preach the gospel in Paraguay, my companion and I found an empty classroom to study away from the rest of our district. We were still pretty new when it came to talking about the Church, so we wanted to practice our teaching skills without feeling self-conscious around the others in our district.

At one point in the study session, my companion pretended to be an investigator and I was trying to convince her that the Book of Mormon was true, and thus that the Church was true.

Not making it easy for me, she maintained an attitude of skepticism, and at one point retorted, "You can't prove that the Book of Mormon is true. It's just what your parents raised you to believe." Or something along those lines.

Even though we were just roleplaying, it still stung. As amazing as it's been to be raised in the gospel, it's true that it also makes people assume that you've just been brainwashed your whole life. In that moment, facing my companion, I had an inkling of doubt. How DID I know that the Book of Mormon was true scripture? Because that's what I'd always been taught? What proof DID I have?

I scrambled for some kind of witty response, but ended up just sitting there with my mouth open, struggling to find the words that would help me regain my self-confidence and show this "investigator" how much I believed in the gospel.

As I did so, my eyes wandered over to the pictures taped onto the classroom walls. They were all scenes from the Book of Mormon--Ammon defending the flocks of Lamoni. Nephi and his family on the ship. Mormon and Moroni overlooking the destruction of the Nephites.


Then it came to me. "It's too good NOT to be true," I told my companion. The Spirit made my heart pound and the words spill from my tongue, "My life has been shaped by the stories that the Book of Mormon contains, and they've shaped me to be a better person. I've been taught to follow the example of Nephi and serve the Lord. I've been taught to be like Ammon and serve others. I've been taught to learn from Mormon and Moroni to steer clear of pride. Ignore the sermons and the points of doctrine and the commandments for a moment and just look at the stories. How have the examples of Book of Mormon prophets led me astray? They haven't. They've only made me a better person. The Book of Mormon is true. It's too good not to be."

Even though it was just practice, I could feel the Spirit in my heart and in the room, confirming what I'd said.

People can gripe all day about "historical inaccuracies" or "false doctrine" but no one can convince me that the Book of Mormon is a sham. I've learned so much about the nature of man, the nature of God, man's relationship with God, and the purpose of life. Following the examples laid out in the Book of Mormon has only ever led me to happiness.

The Book of Mormon itself testifies, "And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, ... and the teach all men that they should do good" (2 Nephi 33:10).

I'm so grateful that I was raised to believe in it--that I grew up learning about heroes like Nephi, Moroni, and Ammon--that I had the Book of Mormon stories to teach me about miracles and righteousness, and the love of our Savior.

I wouldn't give it up for the world, and no one can convince me that it isn't true. It's just too good.

* * * *

If you still don't believe me, read it for yourself, then ask yourself honestly if what you learned was uplifting or not. Then, if you're still not sure, ask God. He'll tell you. He wants us to have truth and direction in our lives, and this is it.

-->To learn more about the gospel of Jesus Christ, click here. 
-->To see my profile on Mormon.org, click here.
-->To get your own copy of the Book of Mormon, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment